Saturday, October 23, 2010

NPR SAYS ADIOS TO JUAN WILLIAMS


Juan Williams an American broadcaster was fired by National Public Radio (NPR) over remarks he made while participating in a discussion on the Fox News television channel.
"When I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous," he said. Williams has now been given a contract by Fox News to join the channel as a commentator.





If you have been reading this blog for awhile you are well aware that I am a devoted fan of NPR - because they offer facts, not opinion.  Yes, I think they were perfectly justified in giving Juan the boot, particularly with what was a blatantly Islamaphobic remark on Fox New's O'Reilly Factor ""Look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."  (Just for the record Juan, those folks that were responsible for 9/11, they weren't dressed in "Muslim garb".)  Given the fact that O'Reilly has caused such a stir earlier on The View in which he directly blamed Muslims for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and co-hosts Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg walked off the set in the middle of his appearance, he should have been more aware.   In no way does his I'm not a bigot preface let him off the hook that he literally painted an entire ethnic group as terrorist with one broad stroke.  He then went on in the same interview and made reference to a Pakistani Muslim immigrant who, earlier that month, had pleaded guilty to charges that he had tried to plant a car bomb in New York's Times Square. Said Williams: “He [the would-be car bomber] said the war with Muslims, America’s war is just beginning, first drop of blood. I don’t think there’s any way to get away from these facts.”

Juan has been a panelist on Fox News for three years, and this has without a doubt been a bone of contention.  Fox news has made its mark for fanning the flames.  Part of the whole problem is we have entirely too many "commentary" shows that people believe like gospel truth.  We need more news shows, based in fact.  Don't tell me your opinion, give me the news and let me form my own opinion.  Like NPR, like Washington Week in Review, like PBS Newshour.   NPR issued a statement praising Williams as a valuable contributor but saying it had given him notice that it is severing his contract. "His remarks on The O'Reilly Factor this past Monday were inconsistent with our editorial standards and practices, and undermined his credibility as a news analyst with NPR."

Then of course we have those Right Wing Nut Jobs weighing in..Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Erik Cantor - why is it that when Helen Thomas, or Rahm Emmanuel speak their mind, they should be fired, but not Juan?  A bit of a double standard from the right wing isn't it?  Or do they think that we forgot?

This is not Juan's first rodeo with inappropriate behavior and comments...

At the Washington Post, 50 female employees came forward, some to accuse Williams of verbal sexual harassment, others to press management to punish or fire him. "It pained me to learn during the investigation that I had offended some of you," wrote Williams in an open letter of apology reported in the Washington Post on November 2, 1991. "I have said so repeatedly in the last few weeks, and repeat here: some of my verbal conduct was wrong, I now know that, and I extend my sincerest apology to those whom I offended. I have committed to Post management, and I commit to you -- and to myself -- to change my ways."  In 1998 his book Thurgood Marshall: American Revolutionary discussed unverified rumors of this first African-American Supreme Court Justice's purported marital infidelity and sexual misconduct.

But don't cry too hard for Juan, he has landed a job with Fox News.  Let us watch the evolution of Juan Williams on Fox News, I think he is going to give Glenn Beck a run for his money.  This is a dream for the right wing to embrace a "fallen liberal" and watch him flourish under the guiding hand of Faux News.
For the record - I feel uneasy around people dressed like Juan Williams on planes, on earth, wherever...
______
***UPDATE*** ran across this site of Muslims wearing “things”.. http://muslimswearingthings.tumblr.com/ 
Source: Text and Image: Political Monkey2010 
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the ‘Wonders of Pakistan’. The contents of this article too are the sole responsibility of the author(s). WoP will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this post.
YOUR COMMENT IS IMPORTANT
DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR COMMENT
Wonders of Pakistan supports freedom of expression and this commitment extends to our readers as well. Constraints however, apply in case of a violation of WoP Comments Policy. We also moderate hate speech, libel and gratuitous insults.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Custom Search